Teach For India is a national program that aims to narrow the educational gap in India by placing India’s most outstanding college graduates and young professionals, of all academic majors and career interests, in low-income schools to teach for two years. In the short run, Teach For India will provide a source of dedicated teachers who will work tirelessly to expand, in a measurable way, the educational opportunities available to hundreds of thousands of India’s most underprivileged children. In the long run, Teach For India will aim to build a powerful and ever-growing leadership force of alumni who, informed by their experiences and insights, will work from inside and outside of education to effect fundamental, long-term changes necessary to ultimately realize educational opportunity for all.
The Teach For India model will involve the following components:
* Talent Sourcing: Recruit the highest-quality university graduates and young professionals who demonstrate core competencies to drive impact on student achievement and become long-term leaders able to effect systemic change
* Talent Development: Provide participants with training and professional development needed to impact student achievement
* Talent Placement: Place participants for a minimum of 2 years in full-time teaching/leadership positions with clear accountability for their classrooms, in areas with educational inequality where impact on student achievement will be maximized
* Alumni Support: Provide support and development that streamlines and clarifies path to leadership in order to eliminate educational inequality
* Measurable Impact: Drive measurable short-term impact on student achievement and long-term development of leaders who will help eliminate educational inequality